Mon Jeu Adopter Boutiques Forum Communauté Jeux Monde Guides

Modérateurs: Modérateurs Artistiques, Modérateurs Écriture, Modérateurs RPG & écriture, Modérateurs Saloon, International Moderators

Messagepar Gothikadoll » 20 Fév 2016 19:23

quand j'en ai parlé avec un américain il m'a clairement dit que "me" est une forme qui n'est grammaticalement pas correcte en anglais. c'est un peu comme en français quand tu dis "j'y monte" au lieu de dire "je le monte"
Gothikadoll
Modératrice Discord

Message(s) : 28666
Me proposer un échange
Voir mes créatures
Voir ma liste de recherches
Voir mes dessins

Messagepar Dreamsinger » 20 Mars 2016 03:27

Thank you for your replies! I also looked online to understand it better, so I'm less confused now. :D
Can anyone type up something like: "Want to practice your English with me? Willing to teach me a few basics in French? Please send me a PM!" in French so I can put it in my signature? I'd really appreciate it. c: (Even more so if it's as short as possible so it doesn't clog up my signature, but it's not like I have much in there. XD)
Envie de parler anglais avec moi ? Ou de m'apprendre quelques bases en français ? Contactez-moi par MP !
Dreamsinger

Message(s) : 40
Me proposer un échange
Voir mes créatures

Messagepar Gothikadoll » 20 Mars 2016 10:16

And here we go

"Want to practice your English with me? Willing to teach me a few basics in French? Please send me a PM!" = "Envie de parler anglais avec moi ? Ou de m'apprendre quelques bases en français ? Contactez-moi par MP"

More or less, this is not a litteral translation
Gothikadoll
Modératrice Discord

Me proposer un échange
Voir mes créatures
Voir mes dessins

Messagepar Dreamsinger » 21 Mars 2016 20:14

Thank you! ^^
My friend is writing something that is set place in France, and she wants to make a character call another something that isn't commonly used for a term of endearment, for example cerise, which is, of course, cherry. I know it would be written as "ma cerise" if he were calling her his cherry, but what if he wanted to just call her a cherry, not his cherry?
For example, in English we call people love or my love interchangeably (but my love is more popular in my opinion), but in French as far as I know, you just call them mon amour. I'm wondering if you could simply call them amour--or whatever other word you wanted--or does it not work that way?
Hopefully this makes sense. Basically I'm asking, what is the correct grammar and/or usage for this situation? And just double checking: the possessive word "ma or mon"changes depending on whether the word is feminine and masculine, not on who is speaking or who is being called something?
Also, does it make any sense to call someone a cherry in French? Even in English it's a bit of a stretch unless there is a context for that nickname to be used.
Envie de parler anglais avec moi ? Ou de m'apprendre quelques bases en français ? Contactez-moi par MP !
Dreamsinger

Me proposer un échange
Voir mes créatures

Messagepar Gothikadoll » 21 Mars 2016 20:26

in France we have a loooooot of nicknames for lovers (amour, bébé, mon coeur, mon canard, mon sucre d'orge.....) so calling someone "my cherry" or "ma cerise" it would make sense if the two people are lovers or very close to eachother.
also possessive in french is not like possessive in english. In english it's "her" if the owner is a "she", in french, it will be "sa" if the object possessed is a feminine word, no matter of the sex of the owner. Same thing for "his" and "son".

So for this context, "my cherry" would be translated in "ma cerise" (and maybe "ma petite cerise" which is even more loving :lol: ), but for the context "a cherry" i'll need a sentence 'cause it's not really a word i would use to call someone XD
Gothikadoll
Modératrice Discord

Me proposer un échange
Voir mes créatures
Voir mes dessins

Messagepar Dreamsinger » 21 Mars 2016 23:26

Thanks! I think that cleared up my question so I feel alright with giving her that translation.
What would you say is a clear rookie mistake a beginner makes when speaking French? I've heard about tourists using "tu" when they should use "vous" (probably because they were lazy and only wanted to learn one set of conjugations, or maybe they just never realized), but can you think of any others?
Dreamsinger

Me proposer un échange
Voir mes créatures

Messagepar Gothikadoll » 22 Mars 2016 08:24

i don't know, maybe say "them" when you don't know the gender but we don't have a proper formula for that in french. Some "false friends" (i don't know if you say that in english) a word very similar in french and in english but with a totally different signification. That's THE trap for beginners
Gothikadoll
Modératrice Discord

Me proposer un échange
Voir mes créatures
Voir mes dessins

Messagepar Dreamsinger » 22 Mars 2016 18:12

Calling a person of unknown gender in English a "them" is actually considered grammatically incorrect as well, as it's actually a word for more than one person. However, writing out "he or she" every time is time-consuming, so "them" is getting more popular.
Yep, that is what I've seen it as! I've seen the concept of faux amis written in different ways. Some people say faux amis even when it's a French-teaching text primarily written in English, or it's called a false cognate, I believe.
Dreamsinger

Me proposer un échange
Voir mes créatures

Messagepar shinx » 30 Mars 2016 18:47

hi !
I don't know if you're interested in foreign expressions and proverbs, but I think it's pretty funny :lol:
here are some funny and silly expressions we use in french, their meanings and the litteral translation ^^

"tomber dans les pommes " = to faint/ to pass out -> lit. "to fall in apples"
"je donne ma langue au chat " = you usually say this when someone asks you a question and you don't have a single idea about the answer -> lit. "I give my tongue to the cat"
"décrocher la lune" = when you're capable of anything for something or someone -> lit. "to unhang the moon"
"casser les pieds de quelqu'un" = when you're extremely annoying with someone ->lit. "to break someone's feet"
"faire passer un chameau par le chas d'une aiguille"= trying to do Something impossible -> lit. "make a camel pass by the eye of a needle"

well I don't use these ones a lot because they're maybe a little "old-fashioned" but I'll try to search more actual ones ;)
shinx

Message(s) : 794
Me proposer un échange
Voir mes créatures
Voir mes dessins

Messagepar Nenahel » 23 Jan 2017 08:47

Hello,

I came here because I don't really whete I could post that...
Has you know, there's a special tombola event in this moment and both of the board could participate... But what's happenned if tje vreature I made gone to someone who don't dmeak a single word of French. I could easily imagine is face, look like "meh :/"
So for avoid hos reaction, Iwill wrie the story in French and in english, buy I have a problem, I make mistakes...

So if there is anyone who could help me to correct my text I will ne happy. Just contact by PM and I will send you my writting -and I sware, I do my best to write correctly -
Nenahel

Message(s) : 12917
Localisation : Partie éveiller les étoiles rêveuses d'un ciel lointain
Me proposer un échange
Voir mes créatures

PrécédentSuivant

-->

Retour vers Gossip